Monday, January 28, 2008

A Quick Dip

I serve on the Big Sur Volunteer Fire Brigade. I have for the last umpteen years (14 or 15, I am not sure), and it has been a rather remarkable experience all in all. I am still amazed at the variety of calls we receive. Some are mundane, some are truly quirky, others horrifying and moving. And then some, well, you just look back at and smile.

One day last summer, I was at work, when I received a page-out for a medical emergency/rescue in the Gorge. I changed into my rescue yellows and heavy fire walker boots and left for the Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. The Gorge is a large pool and former waterfall (a lot of the actual waterfall was taken out in a large storm and subsequent rush of water a few years ago) about a half-mile hike over and around boulders and across the Big Sur river from the back of the campgrounds in the park.

The update told of a man in his thirties who had a major head injury, located above the Gorge. I ran up the trail, helmet on my head, medical bag in hand, and wondering exactly what I might be faced with. A few days prior, there had been a fatality at the same location — a young military man had died diving into shallow water.

I reached the Gorge pool—it's about 80' long and 40' wide, tapering at the end and a decent current to swim against. I could see a small cluster of people on the large rocks at the end of the pool. There were, as usual, lots of people enjoying the cool water and warm sun. I radioed out my position, but through the dense canopy, and lack of line-of-sight, was not able to reach anyone. A State Park ranger was there in his greens, so I said I would go and deal with the victim.

Now at this point, I should explain the concept of PPE's. Personal Protective Equipment is standard and mandatory for all emergency personnel. For a structure fire, it is heavy fire-resistant yellows, head shroud, heavy-duty helmet, thick gloves and thick Vulcanized boots, goggles etc. For wildlands fire and rescue response, we wear relatively lightweight yellow Nomex pants and jacket, heavy leather boots, gloves, helmet, goggles and often a webbing which we carry our fire tent, rations, water bottle etc. It also serves as a reminder to the general public that we are indeed responders. It's critical to be fully and appropriately dressed for any given situations. There's no sense in being a part of the problem due to inadequate equipment and clothing, we are constantly reminded.

Given this, here
I was at the Gorge, facing a swim against the current. I stripped off my yellow shirt and jumped in, and realized immediately that my pants were going to slow me down, and my boots would be completely useless. Decision time. I got back on the rock, removed my boots and then stripped down to my boxers, grabbed my medical bag and radio and started to swim, on my back, to my victim/patient.

It took a while, but I hauled myself out of the water. By now, there were two rangers at the head of the pool. I radioed that I was with the patient, and would give an update immediately. I turned to the group of five or six young people assembled on the massive boulders, as well as the victim, who was conscious, and indeed still bleeding heavily from his head wound. There were some puzzled looks.

"Hi," I introduced myself, as is the law for responders to medical incidents. "I'm Toby with the Big Sur Volunteer Fire Brigade. I'm a Medical First Responder. Can someone tell me what happened?" Still a couple of looks of bemusement at this sopping wet man in his boxers only, holding a radio and an orange jump bag. The first thing I could think of to say was: "Well, we ARE a volunteer organization—they don't have a big budget for uniforms!" This elicited a good round of laughs, which is always a good thing in most situations, and I proceeded to evaluate the patient, who was eventually floated out with the help of by-standers and the Monterey County Sheriff's Lifeguard, and then carried down the canyon by fellow BSVFB responders, State Park rangers and finally some Sheriff Rescue personnel.

Skip forward four months to the annual Fire Brigade Christmas dinner and awards ceremony, generously hosted by Nepenthe. After cocktails and milling around, we (
firefighters, spouses, lovers, Board members and Auxiliary members) sit down and dinner begins. Imagine my surprise when my name is called out. I do not hear exactly what is going on, as I KNOW I am not up for any awards such as training attendance, highest response, leadership capability, etc. Martha is calling me up to stand in front of everyone. I am mystified, so go up and stand next to her.

"As we all know, PPE's are a critical part of every firefighter's uniform." She starts. "So we brought Toby up here tonight because of a certain incident this past summer. While we certainly do not encourage anyone on the Brigade to dress like this, we figured that if he IS going to respond without his proper PPE's, this would be more appropriate than boxers." And she pulls out of a brown bag a dark blue Nike swimsuit, replete with the BSVFB circular patch, sown just right of center.

Needless to say, this elicited a broad round of laughs and shouts for me to model it. I have been known to shuck off my clothes at a moment's notice, but it's generally if A) I am in my own garden, and those present do not mind/care. B) I have had sufficient amounts of alcohol, and those present do not mind/care. C) I am on a hot date, and neither of us care.

However, I did slide the swimsuit over my trousers and wore them that way for a while, just for giggles. They came in use—one of our volunteers, arrived late, having been involved in a minor accident as she swerved to avoid a rock in the road on the way to dinner, and tore the front tire off her truck. She had missed ther dinner, and ceremony, where she was actually awarded Rookie of the Year! My neighbor and fellow fire-fighter, Christian, got up and publicly asked people to make a donation, and called me up. As I approached him, he shoved a twenty down the front of my swimsuit. Of course, this led to dancing around the tables, accepting whatever people felt like donating. Ahhh the bulge was enormous!

So, any fellow firefighters reading this, remember - ALWAYS wear your PPE's or suffer embarrassment and even censure!

(A lovely postscript to this story: Yesterday, I was at the veterinary hospital having my dog examined for his annual heartworm medication. The young lady at the counter looked at me, and said: "I know you - you're the guy who swam through the Gorge to help my friend!" I looked at her and said: "OH yes, when I stripped down to my boxers! That was pretty funny. And how strange that you mention it, as I am JUST now writing about this in my blog!" And she smiled, and said, "Yes, that WAS rather interesting!" We talked for a bit, and she said her friend was fine - in fact, he went golfing the day after the accident!)

Not exactly Johnny Weissmuller, but you get the idea!

1 comment:

Dave Egbert said...

Toby,
Is that what is meant by firm and fully packed?
The first time I responded to a fire brigade page was for a vehicle into a telephone pole. After coming on scene to find the driver deceased, I looked across the highway where a Toyota truck was parked with a pile of clothes scattered over the pavement. What I thought was another fatality was simple Toby doing his usual roadside strip tease out of clothes and into gear. A sight that has been repeated many times.
That night I began to understand that Toby can be voted "most underdressed" firefighter at any incident. While he is a true asset to the tiny community in which we both live, I dare say I have seen him in his underpants even more than I could even want.
May he wear the official Brigade speedo with honor...
Dave Egbert, Duty Officer 7886 Big Sur Fire.